Carrot - Calligraphy Pen - Pink Lemonade
No More Calligrapher's Claw!
Having had a lot of enquiries about making a carrot from customers I finally decided it was time to put my head down and design the best version I could. Introducing, the new 'Carrot', designed for those who like a compact pen holder and a lovely curved body for improved grip and stability. It takes all the best features from my much loved curved Flourish and sprinkles in some new elements:
- Firstly, the weight, it will surprise you (in a good way :) ). Once you put pen to paper you'll notice how the weight increases stability and your nib, int turn, will glide across the page.
- This reassuring weight paired with the body shape of the carrot will mean you barely have to hold the pen when you write (it will do a lot of the work for you) helping you to avoid the dreaded 'calligrapher claw' and improve your technique in the long run.
The oblique pen is also fitted with my unique universal flange design which holds almost every kind of nib (big and small) and allows you to adjust the angle of the nib, further increasing the 'glide factor' of your writing.
Once you have the pen in your hand I am confident that you'll appreciate the true quality and craftsmanship that has gone into each design decision. Made from precision machined aluminium and brass, it's my hope that it will be something your grandchildren will happily be using in years to come.
I'm really proud of the Carrot and hope that you truly experience the joy of writing with this lovely little pen.
What is a Flourish pen you may ask? Read on if you like the details...
You can now park the pliers and say sayonara to screws. Instead all you need to do is twist the beautifully machined brass nut to the width of your nib and you'll be flourishing in a flash.
My unique design fits nibs as large as a Nikko G, all the way down to smaller nibs like the Brause 66EF, as well as our 3.5mm pencil lead, so you can draft your creations before committing to ink. The Flourish is designed with ultimate comfort and reliability in mind. It's a refined writing instrument built to last a lifetime.
As no two calligraphers are the same, I designed the pen so that you can easily customise the angle of the nib to suit your calligraphy style. I’ve also refined the balance of the pen so that the centre of gravity sits between your forefinger and your thumb joint, making it feel neither top nor bottom heavy.
Good to know & FAQs:
- Both the oblique pens are perfect for left or right handed calligraphers. The brass flange of the oblique version can be easily flipped around, enabling the pen to be used by both left- and right-handers.
- Every pen is machined from solid metals on a lathe used for making fine watch and aerospace grade components, so you can be sure your pen will write perfectly for years and years to come.
- Measures 125mm x 10mm-20mm (at the grip section) and weighs 36g.
- Designed with the planet in mind. I’ve made sure that this pen is made from infinitely recyclable materials, such as brass and aluminium, which are easily separated (no glue or un-recyclable plastics here).
- Comes in a beautifully crafted gift box.
Nibs are sold separately and you can find them here.
- Pencil Leads are sold separately and you can find them here.
- I have a superb range of inks to compliment your pen and you can find them here
- Shipping times are calculated from dispatch.
- We offer a complimentary repair service, so should your Flourish pen need a little TLC please contact us .
Standard Shipping Costs:
EU: Our shipping costs vary by country and are calculated at checkout.
USA: from $10.50 (charged in local currency)
Rest of the world:
We Ship Internationally. We take care of VAT and customs duty for EU customers. Your order will be shipped within 48 hours when in stock, please refer to lead times of the product you are buying, as some handmade / hand dipped products may take longer until we send them. Delivery is calculated from dispatch. All UK orders are shipped using Royal Mail Tracked 48. If you need your order by a specific date there is a next-day Special Delivery option.
If your order contains a pre-order item, your whole order will be shipped together in order to minimise our carbon footprint. So please refer to pre-order delivery times in this instance. Alternatively, you can ask us to split the order. In this case additional delivery costs will apply. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for further information.
Great calligraphy tool!
Love the elegance of the pen. Love the packaging it came in. Love the feel in my hand when I write with the pen. Lots of love to go around. 🥰
I found the carrot a little difficult to get used to initially (compared to the Flourish and similar examples). However, having adapted a slightly different grip (first two fingers over, third finger under, and pinky idle), the carrot is now producing the best results. It has also made me slow down considerably, which is never a bad thing. Last week, I would probably have given three stars; next week I may give five.
The third of my growing collection of pens from Tom's Studio. I love them all, but this one is fast becoming my go-to pen. It's beautifully balanced, a joy to handle and it just sails across the paper. Exceptional workmanship, Tom (as always).
Initially I was concerned that the weight of this pen may be an issue as it is the heaviest pen I own, but it is so well balanced that you hardly know you have the pen in your hand. It literally glides across the paper. I have tried it with both very stiff and very soft nibs and find this pen to be extraordinarily versatile. I love the ease of the flange adjustment and the fact that the nib angle can be finely tuned to suit your particular needs. No more fiddling with pliers! Highly recommend. Also, customer service is wonderful.