The closely-guarded Tom’s Studio Carrot cake recipe has finally been released and it’s quite the showstopper!* Whether you want to win first prize at the village fête or treat yourself to a piece before indulging in a spot of calligraphy. This is the recipe for you!
For the Cake
For the icing
- 4 eggs
- 150g/5oz golden caster sugar
- 300ml/10fl oz rapeseed oil
- 4 medium carrots peeled and grated
- 300g/10oz wholemeal self-raising flour
- 1⁄2 tsp salt
- 1⁄2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- Optional: a small handfull of walnuts or sultanas
- 150g/5oz jar of runny honey
- Juice from of a couple of oranges
- 125g/4oz unsalted butter
- 250g/8oz cream cheese
- 100g/3oz icing sugar
- A volunteer to lick the bowl!
Preheat your oven to
Grease a 23cm or 25cm (9inch) springform cake tin and line the base with baking parchment.
Place eggs and sugar in a large bowl and beat together for about 10 minutes until pale and foamy.
Add the oil and beat for a few more minutes.
Combine the dry ingredients in a bowl and sieve them into the mixture. Add the bran left in the sieve and fold in gently. Add the carrots (and sultanas/walnuts if using) and fold until just combined.
Bake in the oven for around 45-50 minutes at 180°C/350°F.
When the cake has almost finished cooking, place the honey and orange juice in a saucepan and heat over a low heat until bubbly.
After taking the cake out of the oven, prick with a skewer all over and pour the orange & honey mixture on while both are still hot. Leave to cool before turning out of the tin.
Combine all the icing ingredients in a food processor or with an electric mixer and spread over the cold cake.
Share your creations with us on Instagram - @tomsstudio !
* Credit where credit's due - the genius behind this delicious recipe is actually the man, the myth, the legend that is Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall. It's so good though it's become our go-to Team Carrot Cake recipe.