Tom's Studio - Fountain Pen Nibs
Beauty is in the eye of the pen holder
Fountain Pen Nibs:
Made exclusively for our fountain pens, all of my nibs are tipped with incredibly hard-wearing iridium for super smooth writing, and are plated in a 14k gold for a classically stunning look. As a bonus all nibs can be interchanged so you can easily write in different styles whenever it suits you.
- Extra Fine Semi-Flex - A beautiful extra fine fountain pen nib with flex! This is a great middle-ground between the Pro Flex and our classic fountain pen nib, with its smooth writing experience and minimal maintenance. By applying a little pressure the nib will flex from 0.5mm to 1.5mm.
- Fine - A springy and smooth nib perfect for delicate thin strokes, with a smidge of flex if you're feeling creative.
- Medium - The go-to nib for the author, journaller or note-taker. This is a firm and consistent nib for everyday writing.
- Architect - This is the opposite of the Italic nib, with a broad cross stroke and a thin down stroke. It's my personal favourite - the effortless big juicy lines make it my go-to for sketching and everyday use.
Titanium - This beauty is the ultimate flex as it's a lot softer than stainless steel nibs. It's perfectly paired with our fountain pens to practice calligraphy when you just want to get cracking without having to prep all your nibs and ink or you're out and about. Titanium is also bombproof so it will carry on writing for decades to come. It's the best flex nib with the least maintenance.
- I've designed the prototype Pro-Flex with an innovative leaf spring which moves with the nib. It's a 3D printed white feed (which by happy accident changes colour depending on the ink used in the pen). It's early days but we've had rave reviews from customers and calligraphers alike and it seems to be performing as well as the original Pro-Flex for consistent ink flow when fully flexed. All feedback welcome to further improve the design! Please note this uses a specialist calligraphy nib which will need replacing (buy replacements here) read more about this special nib here:
Extra Fine Semi-Flex - Extra Inky
I've applied the same 3D printed white feed design (which by happy accident changes colour depending on the ink used in the pen) to the Semi-Flex nib for improved ink flow. Because this is fitted with a flexible fountain pen nib, this option is for the casual calligrapher who likes the flexible fun this nib provides without the faff of changing a professional calligraphy nib when it corrodes.
Standard Shipping Costs:
EU: Our shipping costs vary by country and are calculated at checkout.
USA: from $10.50 (charged in local currency)
Rest of the world:
We Ship Internationally. We take care of VAT and customs duty for EU customers. Your order will be shipped within 48 hours when in stock, please refer to lead times of the product you are buying, as some handmade / hand dipped products may take longer until we send them. Delivery is calculated from dispatch. All UK orders are shipped using Royal Mail Tracked 48. If you need your order by a specific date there is a next-day Special Delivery option.
If your order contains a pre-order item, your whole order will be shipped together in order to minimise our carbon footprint. So please refer to pre-order delivery times in this instance. Alternatively, you can ask us to split the order. In this case additional delivery costs will apply. Please contact email@example.com for further information.
I liked the nib, which was too large for the vintage Croxley fountain pen I had hoped it might fit. I might try and buy a pen without the nib from the Studio, so that I can use it properly..
The Architect Knib was a present for my daughter who absolutely loves it and it is certainly an attractive knib to look at.
Lovely feel on the paper and makes even my scrawny handwringing look beautiful.
I have to admit, I’ve been having trouble with the pro-flex nib for my Studio Pen. There have been too many occurrences of ‘railway lines’ which then means unscrewing the body, rotating the reservoir a little, replacing the body etc. Still, I have faith in Tom’s pens. His ‘one-dip wonder’ is a fabulous invention. I have the medium nib for the Studio. Because of my challenges with the Pro-Flex, I wondered about ordering another nib. But the Semi-Flex, so far, has been superb! It has much more the feel and flow of a fountain pen, but with that little bit of flex at the point to make your handwriting zing off the page. I’ve been writing a little, putting the pen down, then picking it up again - just for the sheer joy of it. I would absolutely guarantee the Semi-Flex. Perhaps not as flamboyant as the Pro-Flex, but for my money, a more hassle-free experience.
I bought one of Tom's Studios fountain pens a couple of weeks ago, and am absolutely delighted with it. It feels so solid, robust and precisely engineered, yet somehow is also elegant.
I used to own a vintage Waterman with a gold flex nib, and after it was lost, I gave up writing with modern fountain pens because I really missed the weighted strokes I could achieve. Having seen an advert for Tom's fountain pen, I thought I would give the fine semi-flex nib a try, It really does write beautifully, and I have fallen in love with writing again.
I also have the pro-flex nib, which is brilliant for calligraphy (if a little too fussy for every-day use), and the italic nib, which writes so smoothly and feels like it could be used every day for years to come.
The Juniper ink is lovely to write with. It is almost black, but has just a hint of desaturated purple that makes it stand out from other "black" inks. It simply oozes quality.
If you are pondering whether it is worth treating yourself, ponder no longer. You will be delighted with your purchase from Tom's!